Personal tools
Sections

Modern Multi-Family Units in College Station

by Lyle Barnes last modified Feb 19, 2007 03:37 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Modern Multi-Family Units in College Station

Posted by Lyle Barnes at February 18. 2007

I'm interested in finding an Austin firm to design/build a multi-family project in the modern-starved city of College Station.  While some familiar with Bryan/College Station might baulk at the idea, I do believe their is major void in the market which house 44,000 students annually.  Despite the stereotype, most of these kids did not grow up on a cattle farm and many do (and will continue) to believe in the "greater good"

Firms that specialize in cost effective "green" designs and have a fond appreciation of mid-century modern design would be preferred.  Of course, with students, something durable is probably a good idea.  Financing should not be a problem but I would need someone to help walk me through the design/review process for MF units in the county.

I am about to make an offer on a 1.6 acre site just 1.5 miles from campus (zoned commerical but can be rezoned for townhouses) and wanted to see if anyone knew of a firm that would work on project 90 miles away and the opportunity to be trailblazer in the market.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions/help.

Lyle

Laguna Beach, CA

p.s.  I also own a home in Bryan that my niece lives which needs some landscaping help.   It's a blank slate a needs someone that likes a challenge.  If you know of anyone interested in creating the design, it would be appreciated.  See pictures

Attachments

Re: Modern Multi-Family Units in College Station

Posted by Mark Meyer at February 18. 2007

Lyle,

90 miles isn't very far away as far as Texas is concerned. I'd be interested in talking with you further about your ideas.

Mark Meyer

www.designSTUDIOmodern.com

Posted by David Benners at February 19. 2007

Previously Lyle Barnes wrote:

I'm interested in finding an Austin firm to design/build a multi-family project in the modern-starved city of College Station.  While some familiar with Bryan/College Station might baulk at the idea, I do believe their is major void in the market which house 44,000 students annually.  Despite the stereotype, most of these kids did not grow up on a cattle farm and many do (and will continue) to believe in the "greater good"

Firms that specialize in cost effective "green" designs and have a fond appreciation of mid-century modern design would be preferred.  Of course, with students, something durable is probably a good idea.  Financing should not be a problem but I would need someone to help walk me through the design/review process for MF units in the county.

I am about to make an offer on a 1.6 acre site just 1.5 miles from campus (zoned commerical but can be rezoned for townhouses) and wanted to see if anyone knew of a firm that would work on project 90 miles away and the opportunity to be trailblazer in the market.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions/help.

Lyle

Laguna Beach, CA

p.s.  I also own a home in Bryan that my niece lives which needs some landscaping help.   It's a blank slate a needs someone that likes a challenge.  If you know of anyone interested in creating the design, it would be appreciated.  See pictures

Lyle - An Austin firm that I team with occasioanlly (I've got a Dallas firm) might be a good fit and a good call to make. If you'd like, pls call Kit Johnson with Hailey Johnson Architects at 512.472.0650. I'll send them the text of your post  in advance.

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at February 19. 2007
Lyle, FWIW I'm working on a MF/student housing project right now based on IBUs - shipping containers. Images are on my blog under the IBU category. http://livemodern.com/Members/lavardera/lamidesigndevblog http://livemodern.com/Members/lavardera/lamidesigndevblog/SimpleBlogCatSearch?category=IBU%20Modular%20Houses