Personal tools
Sections

Florence Knoll chairs-sell or reupholster and keep?

by Heidi Acott last modified Jul 18, 2011 03:32 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)
Click to change your rating: (not rated)
  worthless bad average good great

Florence Knoll chairs-sell or reupholster and keep?

Posted by Heidi Acott at August 11. 2007

I have two original and very heavy Florence Knoll chairs, they still have the company tags on the bottom. I'm not positive, but I think they are called the Parallel Bar club chair? The original blue material is starting to tear, and the cushions are losing the clean lined shape. Any ideas as to a good upholsterer in the Georgetown or Austin Area?

I'm still trying to decide whether to keep them. Sometimes I see similar chairs in original condition selling for quite a bit of money, $1995.00 for a pair, but they are also in better condition. Does a collector prefer to buy as is? Does reupholstering decrease the value?

I always thought I would reupholster and keep, but if I could sell for almost $2000.00, I could be persuaded to sell. We love the look of them, but my husband has a back injury and calls them the "torture chairs."

Thank you for your input.

Re: Florence Knoll chairs-sell or reupholster and keep?

Posted by cdrmemphis at August 13. 2007

You might check with a Knoll dealer in the area for recommendations on who to re-upholster them. I had a Knoll chair from the 50's that had canvas straps that were very aged. Through Knoll I could order replacement straps to re-strap the chair. It looks great.

Posted by hotho at October 16. 2007

Depends on your motive. If you are a modernist and you like them, they fit your space and style- Have them re-upholstered and keep!

If you are more about the 'fashion' of having something trendy, then sell them while the demand is high. Personally, as I have a love for the era, I'd keep them. Depends on if they are worth for YOU to enjoy.

There are many good upholsters in town. Barton Springs Upholstery is wonderful, they treat fine furniture as artifacts (they do work for the capitol and other historical entities) but are EXTREMELY expensive. They also have NO modernist fabrics (not many do)

Posted by Elle Greene at January 08. 2008

Keep them if you can afford to have them reupholstered! A newly foamed and upholstered Knoll chair is a dream and your husband will no longer call them the torture chairs!

We use Dennis Ambrose at Ambrose Upholstery, he does a great job and collects mid century himself and so he has a great sense of what is 'correct' for mid century furnishings. A lot of my customers use him and I use him for my own personal furniture as well.

For the condition that you describe you won't be able to sell them for much as once upholstery is torn, reupholstery is necessary. Most vintage stores will not buy furniture with torn upholstery as the items will need to be sent out for repairs before being ready to sell.

We have had Knoll chairs in the past that needed to be reupholstered simply due to age and they sell for around 400-600 depending on immediate need for repairs.

A pair is a great thing to keep if you can!

Cheers, Elle

Austin Modern Vintage

www.austinmodern.com

Posted by Rhanya Gardner at March 04. 2010

Previously Heidi Acott wrote:

<a href="http://www.familyleisure.com/San-Antonio/Casual-Patio-Furniture">San Antonio Patio Furniture</a>
<url="http://www.familyleisure.com/San-Antonio/Casual-Patio-Furniture">San Antonio Patio Furniture</url>

I also have a Knoll collection, in this case, I have a Florence Knoll lounge seating, and its original design prevent me from selling it, I still keep it.  This are collections inspired on 1950's, so I recently change the material for Italian leather, and the lounge seating is in great condition, mainly because its chrome frame protects from humidity, it is a great modern classic piece.

I may suggest you to keep it.

I have two original and very heavy Florence Knoll chairs, they still have the company tags on the bottom. I'm not positive, but I think they are called the Parallel Bar club chair? The original blue material is starting to tear, and the cushions are losing the clean lined shape. Any ideas as to a good upholsterer in the Georgetown or Austin Area?

I'm still trying to decide whether to keep them. Sometimes I see similar chairs in original condition selling for quite a bit of money, $1995.00 for a pair, but they are also in better condition. Does a collector prefer to buy as is? Does reupholstering decrease the value?

I always thought I would reupholster and keep, but if I could sell for almost $2000.00, I could be persuaded to sell. We love the look of them, but my husband has a back injury and calls them the "torture chairs."

Thank you for your input.

Posted by Roy Gatling at July 18. 2011

Heidi,

As others have suggested, get them upholstered.  Have you heard of Spruce in Austin?  They've been featured on HGTV and do some really interesting work.  Here's their link http://spruceaustin.com/

Roy with Make It Mod!

http://www.makeitmod.com