Personal tools
Sections

Also Looking for ATL Architect & Lot

by Karna Crawford last modified Dec 20, 2005 04:53 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Also Looking for ATL Architect & Lot

Posted by Karna Crawford at December 17. 2005

Similar to other posts on the site, my husband and I are currently living in a condo in Midtown, and we are interested in building a single family modern home. This is a very new process for us so we have lots of questions and a ton of research to do.

So, here are the QUESTIONS:
1) Can someone direct us to a few archiects to check out. We are already in contact with Amodern, Dencity Design and TaC Studios. Any feedback on these or suggestions for others to consider would be great (our total price w/ lot cannot exceed $330k ish)
2) Given the info below, what is a reasonable lot price to be seeking?
3) Can you suggest any intown realtors that would be good to help us seek out a lot?
4) What is are the pros/cons of going with an undeveloped lot vs. a tear down?
5) Are there any pros/cons to building intown vs in cobb county (I'm talking about the building process itslef...not living in the burbs vs the city)
6) and the most important question---am I losing my mind? Can I achieve what I am describing in the price range? I want to manage my own expectations!

OUR BACKGROUND STATS:
1) Area: not sure. We hope to be intown like inman park/old fourth, edgewood, reynolds, East atlanta, etc. But, grew up in Smyrna, so would consider Mableton (very close to 285) or Riverside...lots are cheaper on the west side
2) TOTAL PRICE including lot should be around $300k but we can push to $330ish depending on property taxes
3) Want to build multi-level ~2200 sf but could go smaller (no smaller than 1900 sf)
4) Timing is flexible. We're renting our condo, so we have time to look for what we want
5) We care about craftsmanship more than having all the bells and whistles of fancy finishes. I definitely have champaign taste...but if I have to sacrifice things, I can get cool fixtures and other superficial things over time...as long as the house is built well...to last...and is efficient. (Although a few bells and whistles are always nice). I want to LOVE and be proud of the house.

Thanks. Look forward to the input.

karna1@msn.com

Re: Also Looking for ATL Architect & Lot

Posted by Michael Hand at December 20. 2005

Not to make the process any more difficult - but property taxes are also something to consider. I bought a house in Decatur about 5 months ago but live outside of the Decatur city limits so my taxes are (I believe) alot less. But I think its great idea to pursue and if I had had more time and money would have considered that route myself.

Re: Also Looking for ATL Architect & Lot

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at December 20. 2005

Jonathan Elmore is an architect in Atlanta:

http://www.jonathanelmore.com/