Personal tools
Sections

Container Home in Vine City

by Ryan Mathern last modified Jan 14, 2008 07:28 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Container Home in Vine City

Posted by Ryan Mathern at November 10. 2005

Number one, I've gotten the fever to build a modular home from shipping containers.

Number two, I'm looking at lots in the historic Vine City neighborhood, just west of the GA Dome.

Any thoughts on this area, this construction scheme, or building a modern dwelling from heavy gauge steel and concrete in the former Gun Crime Capitol of Georgia?

Thanks for your help.

I've got the fever too...

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at November 10. 2005

and the only cure is more cow bell.

Are you for real? If so, lets do something. Check out these blog entries:

http://www.livemodern.com/Members/lavardera/lamidesigndevblog/SimpleBlogCatSearch?category=IBU%20Modular%20Houses

If you are strictly diy then I guess I'm out of the loop..

Re: Container Home in Vine City

Posted by Cara Cummins at November 12. 2005

RMCF

Are you an Architect?

1.You need to call the City to find out any information pertaining to historic restrictions.
Vine City I believe does not have a historic overlay.

2. You need to find out the zoning (the City)for set back information. Because if you require a variance, and you show your neighbors what you are doing- they will stop you- for all the reasons that you want to build. It is not fair, but the City set up the system so that your neighbor could have a say.

3.You will need drawings stamped by an Achitect to get a permit. And your building section may need to have a Structural Engineer's stamp on the detail- if the City is in the mood.

If you want to live in a shipping container, that is up to you- but I would think about the dimensions of the space. There are plenty of 'shot- gun' homes in the Atlanta area that are similar in scale, I would research the experience of such a narrow space. We have done (some)research on use of these materials, and examined the costs of cranes, accessiblity on small intown lots (with regards to power lines- OSHA does not think kindly of when you are too close to danger)- and some companies won't do jobs like that.

Anything is possible,given time and money- anything can look great. However the City of Atlanta is a costly place to do an experiment.

Re: Container Home in Vine City

Posted by Dora Tarver at January 14. 2008

Previously Ryan Mathern wrote:

Hi Ryan

I have a property in vine city that may fit your needs.  Contact me at dora.tarver@1propertybuysell.com

Regards,
Dora

Number one, I've gotten the fever to build a modular home from shipping containers.

Number two, I'm looking at lots in the historic Vine City neighborhood, just west of the GA Dome.

Any thoughts on this area, this construction scheme, or building a modern dwelling from heavy gauge steel and concrete in the former Gun Crime Capitol of Georgia?

Thanks for your help.