Sections

Flat Lap Siding - Please Help

by Adam Phillips last modified Feb 19, 2005 07:27 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Flat Lap Siding - Please Help

Posted by Adam Phillips at January 22. 2005

hi,
i am looking for a flat lap modern siding product for a renovation...all i can find in atlanta is the typical overlap wood siding or overlap hardiplank siding....can anyone help?
i am looking for the material and/or an installer.
thanks.
i have attached a picture of what i am looking for.

Re: Flat Lap Siding - Please Help

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at January 22. 2005

I can't see your picture, but if you want a flat lap siding I would look at Hardi or one of their competitors like Cemplank or even Certainteed.

If you get the kind with a smooth finish and no phony woodgrain I think it makes a very nice modern mechanically perfect appearance that does not feel like wood precisely because it is so perfectly smooth.

Posted by Sara R. Sage at January 22. 2005

Greg,

I was very interested to see the reply to this question because I've wondered the same thing about Hardie Panel. When I called the company about this, they told me that their product is not meant to be laid flat and that the boards need a 1 1/4 minimum overlap. I thought that siding products like the ones I've seen in Dwell were a different product.

Is there a special way of installing hardie board if it's laid flat?

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at January 22. 2005

I thought panama was asking about lapped panels, and the question was about the surface texture! Maybe I read that wrong?

The manufacturer's concern about laying them flat probably has more to do with shedding water than anything else. If you lay them flat you need to either flash the joints or use a rain screen system. Hardie has products that install flat - they have ones with T111 like surface texture that come in sheets, not lap siding sizes. I know they have their own guidelines for how these must be installed.

Posted by Adam Phillips at February 19. 2005

well, i found a product for the flat lap look that i was going for..norcross supply has a channel rustic board that looks great....to get a small channel you have to rip the boards down, but it isnt that tough. i still cant find this look in a fiber cement....and the cedar is about 1.10 a linear foot....

Posted by Sara R. Sage at February 19. 2005

The reason flat lap (shiplap) is not available in fiber cement is because it is very brittle if the product has tongue and groove installation. It is a limitation of the material and manufacturers don't want to attempt to make a product like this because the edges would almost certainly break in transport.

The fiber cement product that best fits a modern look is probably Hardie's [url href=http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/prodhome/hardiplank.php]Colonial Smooth[/url], Don't be scared by the name.

Sara