Personal tools
Sections

Building in North Carolina

by Barbara Dick last modified Mar 05, 2007 09:28 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Building in North Carolina

Posted by Barbara Dick at June 02. 2005

I currently live in Atlanta, but I'm thinking of building Greg La Vardera lamidesign Porch House on a lot near Sylva N.C. Any one out there who wants to talk?

Re: Building in North Carolina

Posted by Adam Phillips at June 04. 2005

What would you like to talk about?

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at June 04. 2005

Well I'll talk about it if nobody else will!

If you are in Atlanta and looking to build in NC then it sounds like it will be a vacation house for you?

One thing you should think about is how you will secure the house when you are away. I have been reccommending the use of roll up shutters for the porch level openings. This makes it very easy close up and lock the house, and also gives you great sun, wind, and rain protection while you are using the porch level.

There is a customer in Virginia who got Construction Prints for the Porch House this spring. He is one of the few customers who does not do email, so I am not expecting much in the way of feedback from him as they build the house, but I will post any info I get about their progress to my blog.

Posted by Lisa Kennedy at November 08. 2005

I am excited to find your post! My husband is a builder, and I do design for him, and we just moved from Atlanta to Lake Glenville, just south of Sylva. He has been building very high end custom homes on the lake here, but we are looking for some new directions to take, as the market here is so expensive for people to get into. We are originally West Coasters (Seattle and Bay Area), and are drawn to more cutting edge concepts in architecture and design, but customers in Atlanta are so conservative! I came to this forum to see if I could judge whether there is a market for modern design in the mountains, and was pleasantly surprised to see that there is some. I may post a new thread to see if I get much response.

Are you still planning to build this project? Have you already started? You can visit our website at http://www.farnorthonline.com to see some of our work. Nothing too modern in here, but you can see the quality of our work.

Lisa Kennedy
Far North Homes

Posted by Barbara Dick at March 05. 2007

Previously Lisa Kennedy wrote:

I am excited to find your post! My husband is a builder, and I do design for him, and we just moved from Atlanta to Lake Glenville, just south of Sylva. He has been building very high end custom homes on the lake here, but we are looking for some new directions to take, as the market here is so expensive for people to get into. We are originally West Coasters (Seattle and Bay Area), and are drawn to more cutting edge concepts in architecture and design, but customers in Atlanta are so conservative! I came to this forum to see if I could judge whether there is a market for modern design in the mountains, and was pleasantly surprised to see that there is some. I may post a new thread to see if I get much response.

Are you still planning to build this project? Have you already started? You can visit our website at http://www.farnorthonline.com to see some of our work. Nothing too modern in here, but you can see the quality of our work.

Lisa Kennedy
Far North Homes

Hi Lisa. I haven't checked this site for ages because as first time builders we encountered all sorts of problems with the house design and property on Cedar Lake. I'm not so much interested in the porch house because the steep lay of the land would require structural enginering. But we also bought a lot on a small lake with hardly any slope in N. AL on the brow of Lookout Mt. We are now thinking of building there. Does your work include that area? It's near Mentone, AL, way out in the country. I love N.C and the Lake Glenville area so much. The Cedar Cliff lake are has appreciated in value so much, though, that I am thinking about selling that land, so I can build more inexpensively in AL. Also, they are building so many Preserves (Like Bear Preserve) near our land, (thank God not on our lake) that the country we wanted to live in is becoming overpopulated, and people are building houses that we consider ghastly. You are right about backward builders in the area. I'd be really interested in corresponding directly with you. My email is bndick4830@bellsouth.net. I will now check out your website. Thanks, Barbara

Previously Gregory La Vardera wrote:

If you are in Atlanta and looking to build in NC then it sounds like it will be a vacation house for you?

One thing you should think about is how you will secure the house when you are away. I have been reccommending the use of roll up shutters for the porch level openings. This makes it very easy close up and lock the house, and also gives you great sun, wind, and rain protection while you are using the porch level.

There is a customer in Virginia who got Construction Prints for the Porch House this spring. He is one of the few customers who does not do email, so I am not expecting much in the way of feedback from him as they build the house, but I will post any info I get about their progress to my blog.

Previously Barbara Dick wrote:

Previously Gregory La Vardera wrote:

Hi Greg. I hope this will reply to you. I'm a "tech-tard" who doesn't really know how to use these forums. We found out that the porch house would be too difficult to build on our steep lot in the mountains, but I do appreciate the suggestions on how to secure it. We bought some other land with hardly any slope on a small lake on Lookout Mt. in northern AL. I had one responce from a builder in the Cedar Lake area who was interested in building modern. Believe me, it's hard to find any. I'll keep you posted.

Fondly, Barbara

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at March 05. 2007
Barbara, If you are still interested in the Porch House for your new site, I'd be happy to talk to any builders you are trying to entice. Show them the web page, or print out the images from the web page, and I can talk through the project with them to help them get a handle on the construction. Greg