Building a custom Ikea desk from an Expedit shelf + Linnmon table top
Average Rating: ( 0 votes)
Materials: 1 Linnmon table top, birch effect, 47 1/4x23 5/8" $19.99 1 Expedit shelving unit, birch effect (201.353.00) $39.99 1 Expedit wall shelf, birch effect (302.651.26) $19.99 2 Expedit insert w/ 2 drawers, high gloss white (201.982.17) $25.00 2 Vika Kaj adjustable legs, silver (601.053.01) $15.00 4 L-shaped brackets + corresponding screws, ~$10-15 1 flat plate/bracket, $1-2
1. Build the Expedit shelving units. You're going to take a 2x2 Expedit shelf and a 1x1 Expedit wall shelf to make a 2x1 shelf. You can also purchase an already made 2x1 Ikea shelf but check your local store for availability.
2. In essence, you build the Expedit as normal, using the same pre-drilled holes and screws, except you use the short sides from the 1x1 on the top and bottom and the long sides from the 2x2 for the sides of your new 2x1 Expedit shelf.
3. If you follow this method, one shelf will have screws showing on the top, the other shelf will have it on the sides. I chose the one with screws on top to form one side of my desk, because the table top covers the screws.
4. Attach your 47" Linnmon table top to the 2x1 Expedit shelf. If you have a longer desktop, you can use both 2x1 shelves and use L-brackets to attach the tabletop to the shelves. I had to go with one 2x1 shelf on the right and 2 Vika Kaj legs on the left side instead. The Vika Kaj legs screw into the pre-drilled holes; the Expedit has three L-brackets attaching the table top to it: two in the back and one in the front. You can put an additional straight base plate or bracket on the outside edge of the desk toward the front of the Expedit shelf for additional security. I was not able to accommodate both Expedit shelves with the desktop I bought, so the second 2x1 is going to serve as a bedside table.
5. Optional: purchase Expedit inserts with drawers, or the door to create more discrete storage.
The full post is here on my blog.
~ Kristina, Orange County, CA