Average Rating: ( 0 votes)
Materials: Ivar shelving system components, paint and filler
Description: We really wanted modern looking shelving to our study but IVAR shelving looks too much like straight from the garage. We came up with the idea of ladder shelves to give it more smart, Italian look.
METHOD: you only need IVAR components to make it â" it is modulated solution- one IVAR frame gives one unit so you can create as many as you need. We have built units on both sides of the fireplace- 3 units on one side and 2 units on the other as recesses were not equal.
1. Choose the leaning angle- remember that bottom shelf will be the deapest and the top one still need to be usable so do not make it to narrow!
2. Taper legs of the frames to the required leaning angle
3. Cut shelves so they can go right through the main post of the frame- each shelf will be different length depending on the leaning angle- do not throw offcuts away as you can use them as holding battens on the wall!
4. Screw the battens on the wall and screw the shelves to them, each shelf is laid on the batten at the wall end and on the frame bracing at the other end, you have to just screw them at the batten end for stability.
5. For smooth look fill the holes in the frame.
6. Paint the shelving in whatever colour you want! Alternatively you can paint shelf components after cutting before fixing to the wall â" this might be easier (lesson for us for the next time)
7. It's all ready! Beautiful ladder shelving which looks like straight from MDF Italia catalogue!
~ tonika, Liverpool UK