19th century green-roofed Icelandic church is straight out of a fairy tale
Average Rating: ( 0 votes)
Related: Via Iceland Mag Hof in Öræfi has been a ecclesiastical site for almost 700 years, and is first mentioned in a cartulary from 1343. Hofskirkja Church was dedicated to saint Clement. The core of the current church at Hof was built in 1884, and was the last turf church built in the old Icelandic architectural style. Its walls are assembled of rocks and its roof made of stone slabs, covered in turf. The reredos in Hofskirkja Church was painted by the artist Ólafur Túbals. Hofskirkja...